Tuesday

My Hutch Decorated for Thanksgiving

I have an old hutch in my dining room that belonged to my mother. I like to change the dishes that I display to reflect the season or holiday. After a very slow start - didn't fall start back in September? - I finally dragged out the fall decorations and got the job done:-) Better late than never!

Today I'm sharing with you my hutch decorated for fall...




A close up of some of the dishes...



 On the top row is a lemonade set that I bought years ago at an auction. The lemonade set is marked "Nippon" and included the pitcher and six cups. Nippon means Japan and from 1891 - 1921 all china coming from Japan was marked in this way. I never really displayed this set because I wasn't very fond of the colors. Once I started decorating my hutch for different seasons I realized the color is perfect for fall.

I also scour thrift stores, flea markets and antique stores for pieces that coordinate to the season.

I bought the dishes on the bottom row at an antique store. They have an old clipper ship design which reminds me of the Mayflower and the Pilgrims. I only have one dinner plate, two bread plates and one cup and saucer. I got them all for $4 because they each have a tiny chip. But it's OK because the chips aren't noticeable when the dishes are on the shelf.

The two plates on each end came from a thrift store because I loved the orange and yellow flowers. I'd love to have a set of these for my every day dishes.

The amber colored glass plates are Depression glass. When my husband was a boy his mom who was an antique dealer collected sets of depression glass for each of her children. My husband got the yellow or amber colored dishes, the other brothers got blue and green and of course his sister's set is pink. (Oh, I really covet that pink set:-) I actually use our set for Thanksgiving dinner and I'll also be using it for my Fall luncheon this weekend.

Some final touches...




Another favorite thing is the appliqued linen runner that I put out each fall. I bought this at a church yard sale a few years ago. I love the delicate work in this piece and the fall leaves.




I made the little candle holders out of a canning jar, a little twine and some fall colored berries. The candle is nested in dried red beans. I hot glued wire to the jar so I could hang it from the drawer handles.



I love searching out little treasures in thrift stores and flea markets. I search all year for dishes that I can use in the fall or at Christmas and Easter. The pieces are sometimes chipped or have tiny cracks but I don't mind because I never spend more than a couple of  dollars. That way I can change out pieces or get rid of pieces I don't care for and I don't feel bad because I didn't spend much money:-)



Thank you for allowing me to share my Fall hutch with you. 

Enjoy the season!


Patti

Linking up with:

Making Your Home Sing Monday

Sew Many Ways - So Darn Crafty

Hope in Every Season

Grace at Home

A Stroll Through Life - Inspire Me Tuesday

Fluster Buster




6 comments:

  1. Your hutch looks lovely. Those are really pretty dishes too.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hutch is so pretty. I noticed the yellow depression glass right away. My mother-in-law also collected antique dishes. She gave me several pieces of depression glass but my favorite set is a set of Moderntone! I need to get those out sometime and set a table with them. Enjoy your fall! Winter will be here soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your hutch decor and your transferware plates are so beautiful. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your clipper ship plates are very pretty. Thanks for visiting me too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully done Patti - love the crafts and the beautiful dishes, I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully done Patti - love the crafts and the beautiful dishes, I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!