Saturday

Blast From the Past - Banana Split Dessert For a Girls Get Together

Once a month I get together with seven other women for what is suppose to be a scrapbook crop. To be honest we do scrapbook a little, eat a lot and talk even more...It's a glorious day of girl time!

So that no one person is burdened with the responsibility for all the food we rotate turns. This month it's my turn to bring dessert. I knew I wanted something cool since we're already experiencing summer time temperatures. So I Googled 'summer desserts' and I was pleasantly surprised when Banana Split Dessert was among the many choices. This dessert was very popular when I was a newly wed and it seems everyone had their own variation. It's been years since I've had it but I remembered it was yummy! It is cool and refreshing. I knew I this would be the perfect dessert to share with the girls.

Everyone seems to have their own variation of this dish but it's so simple you might not even need a recipe. Take a graham cracker crust, add a creamy filling, top with pineapple, banana and strawberries and finished it off with whipped cream, a few drizzles of chocolate and chopped nuts. 


Simple and so good!





Recipe

Recipe will make a 13 x 9 inch pan

Crust

2 cups crushed grahams crackers
1/4 cup melted butter
2 Tablespoons sugar

Mix all the ingredients and press in to the bottom of pan. Refrigerate while you prepare the filling.

Filling
(The Triple Sec adds a little something extra to the filling but you can easily omit it if you're serving children or you just don't want to use alcohol.)

12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar 
2 - 3 Tablespoons Triple Sec (Orange Liqueur) optional
2 teaspoons vanilla
8 ounce container whipped topping (Cool Whip)

With a mixer cream together the cream cheese, sugar, Triple Sec (if using) and vanilla until fluffy. Gently fold in the whipped topping. 

Spoon the filling over the graham cracker crust and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Topping
5 - 6 bananas, sliced
20 ounce can crushed pineapple (in juice) drained
2 cups sliced strawberries
8 ounce container whipped topping (Cool Whip)
1 cup chopped pecans (or whatever is your favorite nut)
Chocolate syrup or Hershey's Shell Topping



Drain the pineapple. Slice the bananas into the pineapple juice. This will help them to not turn brown.
With a slotted spoon remove the bananas from the juice and place them in an even layer of the cream cheese filling.
 Cover the bananas with the pineapple and a layer of strawberries. Cover the fruit with the whipped topping, cover with chopped nuts and drizzle on the chocolate.




To serve add a little whipped topping and a cherry on top. Enjoy!



Something I always do when I make a dessert to take somewhere is to make a little extra for my family. So I increased the recipe a little bit and made a loaf pan to leave at home. They must have enjoyed it because this is what I found when I got back after my girls day out.




If you're looking for a no bake summery dessert you might want to give this a try.







Project Inspire{d} Photo Logo :: AnExtraordinaryDay.net




Show Stopper Saturday - Link Party!


Bubbly Nature Creations

the-yuck-stops-here-symbol-04-300x250












Share it Sunday Link Button e1391217578420 Share it Sunday {27}



11 comments:

  1. Hello Patti, I just wanted to let you know I will be featuring you for this next Wednesday Link Up!
    I have been putting it up on Tuesday night as it has just been easier for me. I would really like for you to continue writing on hospitality. This has become a lost art! I would love to see more!!
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  2. After the day that I just had this would be the perfect dessert to enjoy. You are today's Dare to Share Feature of the Day. Thank you so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious, I love that the recipe is so easy to make :) !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Roxy (living from Glory to Glory) and Pam for featuring my dessert. It's an honor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Roxy for visiting! I too love foods that are simple and easy to make. I appreciate your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom made a dessert like that and I haven't had it in years. It looks so good! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Patti,
    I can't wait to taste your Banana Split Dessert, it looks delicious! Thanks so much for sharing this awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great weekend and come back to see us real soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I remember this - great dessert! I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Have a great weekend and enjoy your new Red Plate!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that looks so delicious! I enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Chris! It is delicious which is why I only make it once in a while. I'd eat it all if I could:)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!