Thursday

Prepping for Emergencies - Spicy Black Bean Soup From Can Goods


Where ever you are there is always a natural disaster lurking somewhere. In Florida, where I live, hurricane season begins in June and goes through November. Although we can't predict or protect ourselves from everything there are things we can do to be prepared.

No matter what's going on people have to eat and food can offer comfort in a stressful time.

Many years ago there was a hurricane off the coast of Florida and we were told to stock up on food and water. I headed to my local grocery store to buy a few things but I found the store shelves empty.

That's a scary sight. Not even one can of beanie weenies left on the shelf!

We made it through that hurricane with no problems but I decided that I'd never be in the predicament again!

I began to gather recipes that I could make with canned foods that would keep on my pantry shelf.

When stocking my emergency pantry shelves I have three requirements:

Recipes must be made completely from shelf stable ingredients.
The dish has to taste good.
I have to be able to prepare it with a limited heat source.

For this dish I took a family favorite recipe and modified it to meet my requirements. I'll admit the original is better because I make it with fresh veggies and a ham bone but this version is good in a pinch.

Sweet and Spicy Black Bean Soup 




Sweet and Spicy Black Bean Soup

Makes 4 servings

2 cans black beans
1 can peaches in light syrup or juice
1 can Rotel (Original or Mild depending on your taste)
Chicken or vegetable broth (canned is better but you could use bouillon cubes)
1/4 cup dried onion

Drain the beans.
Drain the peaches and reserve 4 Tablespoons and *save the rest to use later.
Dice the peaches.
Soak the dried onion in 1/2 cup water

Add the onions with the water they soaked in, beans, peaches, syrup/juice and Rotel to a pot set over medium heat. Add enough broth to cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 - 30 minutes**. Taste and adjust as needed. You can add more chicken or veggie broth to make the soup as 'soupy' as you like.

To make this a complete shelf stable meal serve the soup with crackers or corn chips.


*If the peaches are canned in 100% juice I save it to drink. If it's canned in light syrup I add it to my iced tea as part of the sweetener or freeze the syrup in an ice cube tray to add to drinks or as a cold treat.

**If you're in an emergency situation and a heat source is limited you don't have to simmer the soup. It's better heated but you could eat this at room temp if necessary.


I've made this dish several times. Not because we had an emergency situation but because I forgot to take something out of the freezer or I was just in a hurry. I guess that can be considered an emergency:)






No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!